Even though most commercial roofing systems that have been created for long term performance, most will still have issues during their overall lifespan. Issues can happen when the roof is installed wrong, created incorrectly, or it if isn’t maintained properly. Whenever you are looking to fix an issue with a commercial roof, there are 4 options: coat, repair, recover, or full replacement. It is vital to answer the questions below first, which will help you to guide you towards the choice that you need to make.
- Does your building generate moisture? If it does, then you may not have the right roof.
- Where is the building located and what is it used for you?
- Are you looking for a short term or long term solution?
- Is the building occupied? How easy would it be to tear off?
- Does it have the right insulation?
- How bad is it damaged and how bad is the roof?
Below are options as well as benefits of each to help determine the best way to correct the issue.
Commerical Roof Repair
Repair: Some issues for a roof may be easily repaired and just be minor, so if you don’t want to deal with the expense of a replacement. Below are some reasons that you could choose to repair your roof:
- Owner wants to keep a cost to a minimum
- The membrane is basically in good shape and hasn’t met its life expectation
- The roof is well insulated
- Extends the life of the roof
- Less costly than recovering or replacing
Commercial Roof Recovery
Recover: Not all damaged roofs will need to be replaced. If the roof is sound and is well installed, the most effective fix would be to recover it. In many cases, the roof has just one membrane, you can place another one on top of it. Although, keep in mind that the roof can only be recovered just once. Below are reasons that you may choose to recover the roof:
- The roof hasn’t been recovered previously
- The roof is well insulated, but the membrane has met life expectancy
- New and extended warranties are available
- Less risk for the roof being exposed to elements
- Less disruptive than full tear offs
- Cheaper than full replacements
Full Replacement Commercial Roofs
Full replacement: Sometimes the roof isn’t the best candidate for recovering, if the damage happens to be extensive. If a roof has been recovered previously, you will need to replace it. Below are reasons to replace your roof:
- Owners want a long term solution and wants to use the latest technology
- Insulation is wet or isn’t up to par
- Repairs to the roof are extensive; if more than 25% of the roof is damaged, then you need to replace
- Energy saving
- Less likely to have issue
- Lower maintenance costs
- The best option if the building is a long term building
Commercial Roof Coatings
Coating: Most commercial roofs may be coated to extend their overall life. Below are reason to coat the roof:
- Cost effective, which means it is often less expensive than other options; rebates may be available and may written off as an expense in year one
- Less disruptive than a tear off
- Improves the aesthetics
- Improves comfort inside of the building by reflecting suns rays away from the roof, which keeps the building and roof cooler
- Reflective coatings provide energy savings by reflecting UV rays and heat from the building
- Extends the life of the roof
- Extra protection from leaks
Phoenix Commercial Roofing
If you have a leaky or damaged roof at your place of business you need to get the experts out to look at the damage. Different types of damage allow for repairs, recovery, or require full replacement. Let our technicians come and inspect your roof and help you come up with a cost effective plan for keeping your building in good condition and your commercial spaces dry and safe.